Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Homeschooling, Socialization, and the Vet

Ask any homeschooling parent, and they will tell you that the one thing people ALWAYS ask about is socialization. Children need intense age-level peer interaction, right?  The idea of homeschooling seems to fly in the face of all that is appropriate for proper socialization.




Or does it?

A couple of weeks ago, Nathan and I made a trip to the vet with Shadow, our puppy. Because of the crowd in the waiting room, I decided to wait outside with the dog. I asked Nathan to go in and let them know that we were there. About 10 minutes later, the vet came outside to check Shadow there instead of bringing her inside.

After conversing about the pup, the vet changed the subject. She wanted to let me know how well socialized our son is. He had gone inside, notified the desk that we were there, answered a couple of questions, and begun to work the room, moving from one person to another saying hello to their pets. He talked with each person, impressing them with his love of animals, and his ability to carry on intelligent, meaningful conversation.

After the vet told me this, I asked her if she knew that he was a homeschool student. She was astonished. She had no idea. Maybe she'll share the story with others and help dispel the myths surrounding homeschool and socialization. So proud of you, Nathan.

2 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging, Paula. I know how wonderful these moments are.

    I would love to see a blog on what Nathan and you are doing for school this year.

    Aunt Martha (Alias Mom F!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it! Hope to get something posted today or tomorrow about homeschool this year. Seems we are so busy doing it that I keep forgetting to write about it. It is an exciting year so far!

      Delete